Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Return of the Bird Tribes by Ken Carey

Evidently this lyrical and mythological tale has a cult following. For me, it was a hard book to read because I am not fond of fantasy and don't like the idea of angels (which in this case are birds.) I can admit to unknown forces in the universe, but to anthropomorphize them seems silly. However, beneath the mythological fluff of Carey's work there is a solid base of spiritual insight, summed up nicely on p. 169: "... all creatures inhabit and live within a single field of shared consciousness ... all are projections of a single Being ... all of us ... are differentiated aspects of one conscious and coherent whole." I am glad I pushed myself through Return of the Bird Tribes, but will probably not recommend it to others because the mythology is a little too woo-woo (not to say distasteful) to me.

No comments: