Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimy

I paid $74.00 for a used paperback copy of this out-of-print, 185-page novel. Later I learned that I could have downloaded it for free from the Internet; but this does not really bother me, because I love the book. Its central character, Mirdad, is a Christ-like figure who teaches monks the error of duality and the truth of the Oneness of all things. Mirdad teaches the same kinds of truth that my Unity Church does. It is truth that is both very ancient and very modern; it transcends creeds and formal theology.

Mikhail Naimy was a friend and biographer of Kahlil Gibran, and the The Book of Mirdad is written in a poetic style that reminds one of The Prophet. I really wish that someone would re-publish it so that I could buy and give copies to my friends.

No comments: